Fluid Flora: Sakura Season with Claire Wilson
Saturday, April 8, 11:00am - 12:30pm PST
At this time of year as soon as I see little flashes of pink on the trees, it means Spring is on its way! In this session we’ll be celebrating Sakura - the cherry blossom, the national flower of Japan that represents a time of renewal and optimism. Flowers have been a constant source of inspiration for my textile designs for many years and I just find it so therapeutic to try and capture their beauty with paint. There’s something magical about the fluidity and movement of pigments traveling through water that can represent the iridescence of petals. In this session we’ll be studying flowers and observe their wide range of colour and depth. Exploring wet on wet, charging, and pulling techniques we’ll move pigments around to capture the magic of flowers.
Join zoom 15 minutes early (10:45am PST) for an informal meet and greet with the instructor and other class participants! Session instructions will begin promptly at 11:00am PST so that everyone has plenty of time to join!
- Watercolour paints - some warms, cools, neutral like a grey or ochre, and maybe a neon if you have one! I’ll be using the CFM all the feels custom blends palette as it's perfect for flowers.
- Mixing Palette Brushes - size large round - i like to use a 12 for florals and 1/2 for smaller details
- 2 x Cups of Water
- Paper Towel
- 9 x 12 Sheet Watercolor paper - I’ll be using my fave 140lb Arches cold press watercolour paper but any 140lb/300gms watercolour paper will work
- Spare sheet of paper to swatch colours/warm up exercise
- Floral reference - fresh flowers are great if you have access to some, I’ll also be providing reference photos.
- *optional - washi or artists tape
- **Filbert Brush - my fave brush for painting flowers
Claire Wilson is a fine artist, creative educator, and textile designer living in Brooklyn, NY. Through her work she explores the beauty of the female form, interior spaces & fashion while considering the use of colour, shape and textures. Having spent her career creating fabric designs in the fashion industry, colour palettes are the foundation of her practice.
See more of Claire’s work at smudgestudiobk.com and Instagram: @smudge_studiobk
All workshops are recorded and the replay will be automatically available the day after class to everyone who paid for a spot! The link to the recording will expire 30 days after the date of the session.
*Each class is currently capped at 40 people, but we will be offering 5 free spots per class to people with financial need. Email email@example.com if you would like to request a spot. Free spots are first come, first serve.
**If you’d like to cancel, please let us know as soon as possible so that we can open up the spot! We are only able to refund if we’re notified at least 48 hours prior to the session.
***Links to sessions will be sent via email 24 hours and 15 minutes prior to the session; please check out using the email to which you’d like the link sent. If you have not received the link within 24 hours prior to the session, please check your spam folder first and email firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you so much for taking our workshops. We do ask if you are planning on teaching in the future by using anything you’ve learned from us, to please credit Case for Making + the individual instructor where applicable.